Sunday, February 28, 2016

Belongings in a Box Grid




All of my belongings that I use in a typical day are packed into a box off to the side of the box grid I create, making an unexpected focal point. The shadows created by the lighting replicate the forms and bring even more attention to the items that collect on the ground. The overall coloring of the whole video is predominantly analogous, unifying the whole. In addition, the concept of the box grid forms lines in a grid pattern that results in an aesthetically-pleasing arrangement of the moving boxes.

Cardboard boxes have many different associations to different people. They can connote moving or they can connote homelessness: with each of these opposite-spectrum associations, the concept of personal possessions and quantity is still central. If this is a diary of all the things that I use in a day, how would the quantity differ if I examined what I use in a week or a year? What would I do differently if I only had one box to fit my life into? The most interesting realization I had through this performance piece was that my life revolves around my belongings. Yet, at the same time there was something liberating about treating them with almost irreverent disregard (except for the socks, of course).




Mom said there was too much damn cereal

No comments:

Post a Comment