Sunday, November 27, 2016

Balsa Wood Sculpture - Scale

To emphasize scale in a 3D format I pit tall twisted ropes against short, stunted ropes of the same unique composition. I put them on a raised smooth platform to add interest and also contrast to the rough ropey texture of the noodle arms. 

I originally started the sculpture with the intention on emphasizing repetition, so I spent hours making braided ropes out of rolled masking tape.  

Masking tape braids
I then dripped yellow wood glue down the length of the braids, coating them to make a visually-interesting texture and also for the practical reason of holding them together. I hoped to bundle the braided tape ropes together but the sculpture was not three-dimensionally strong therefore I constructed a base out of balsa wood, propped up by wood pieces on two diagonally opposite corners, starting me on the path to large versus small contrast in scale. I pinned the two types of braids - long and short - onto the wood and covered the bases in yellow wood glue.

I clipped the pins holding each type of braid to match the braid that the pin held: longer pins hold the tallest braids while short stubby pins hold the shortest braids.
 As a final touch I added smooth masking tape around the bottom of the wood structure. This keeps the pins on the bottom from being too distracting and taking away from the main emphasis on scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment