Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Memento - "On Longing" Quote-Photograph Connections

 "The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."
I made a video of me attempting to reconcile my organic form with the rectilinear small scale of the box.

 "Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience."
In Japan, it is an authentic Japanese Christmas "kurisumasu" experience to eat KFC fried chicken. This costume hat held by a friend in Japan reflects this tradition that may be extremely strange to foreigners.

 "The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body."
This is a mini block version of Kaminarimon Temple in Japan that condenses the rich cultural and historical heritage of the temple into a small souvenir commodity.

"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy."
I competed in an international showdance competition in Riesa, Germany and received this German flag wristband from Team Germany.  

"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated."
This adorable bunny pastry was a gift from my suitemate in Japan. She worked at a pastry shop somewhere in town but I had no idea where, no idea why this cute bunny existed, nor why she had brought it to me to try (because of the language barrier).

No comments:

Post a Comment