Sunday, November 27, 2016

Hippo Soap Carving

Using the Lion King "Circle of Life Friend" hippopotamus from my childhood, I carved two blocks of strongly scented soap for the first time. 
I was quite frankly terrified of the idea of scraping away chunks of soap because of the fact that once you take away, you cannot add it back. And as someone who makes many mistakes and likes wiggle room, this one-way nature of carving sculptures was intimidating. But I started anyway and I'm glad I did because I found an enjoyable pastime and unique skill that I would like to perfect!

I started with one very fat, purple hippo, but the body was very disproportionately plump so I started with high hopes on my second hippo carving.

I decided to try to make the second hippo the same size as the hippo figurine I was copying to see if that would help me get the proportions right. 


As before, I started with a generic, blocky shape and slowly started to bring out the details. 






The final two hippos carved out of soap. 



No comments:

Post a Comment